I was thinking about what to write about today as I am sitting here at my go-to, you guys probably know this, Starbucks. There is something about hanging out and working out here that creates a sense of community as well as productivity all at the same time. Yes, I come for the coffee, but I also come for the ambiance. No knocks on the other coffee places, but this one seems to do the trick for me.
Normally I would prepare my food when coming here out of habit and routine, but some times I don’t feel like cooking. Can you relate? So when that is the case … I always have a back up plan for what I will eat… as for Starbucks…
1. Spinach, Feta, and Cage Free Egg White Breakfast Wrap. So for food, my number one menu item is this gem. This treat is made with spinach, egg whites, and feta cheese all in a wrap. It’s about 290 calories with 19 grams of protein, 33 grams of carbs and 10 grams of fat. It’s pretty much a staple for me in terms of food here. And it’s convenient any time of day as it is a decent ratio of protein, carbs, and fats. It will keep me feeling full and satisfied.
My other go-to’s depending on the time of day...
2. The Classic Whole-grain Oatmeal. This is great before or after a workout, to either provide or restore glycogen (energy essential). The oatmeal has about 160 calories; 5 grams of protein, 28 grams of carbs, and 2.5 grams of fat.
3. Almonds. A healthy snack, already portioned out are the almond bags they sell at the checkout counter. This is a great treat for an afternoon work session to accompany your coffee.
As for beverages – I am a big proponent of trying not to drink my calories. I’m a Vargo and I grew up in a large Italian/Hungarian family, where we love food. Thus, I would much rather eat my energy than drink my energy!
4. Coffee (black but a little treat once in a while). Recently my go to drink has been a grande blonde roast (with whipped cream if I am feeling like a treat). A grande blonde roast has about 5 calories and adding the whip has around 50-80 more, depending on serving size. I choose the blonde for the higher caffeine content but any of the coffee blends will do! The nice thing about getting a regular coffee, is that refills are free when using your Starbucks Gold card or app. Might sound cheap, but when you work at Starbucks as much as I do and drink as much coffee as I do, it adds up quick ;).
5. Americano. Another low calorie drink I like to have is an Americano. An Americano is espresso and water. As for calories, a grande Americano is about 5 calories.
I’m not really a fan of the fancy drinks, but if those are your forte, there are some substitutions you can make to decrease your calories and allow you to still enjoy your beverage. Substitute sugar-free syrup for regular syrups – this can cut back calories. Substitute almond milk for full fat milk. Forgo the whip every once in a while ;) I know it’s (the whip_ my favorite but if I am going to get a drink higher in calories, I try to cut them out in other areas.
I hope that was helpful for any of you Starbucks aficionados out there!
Enjoy you coffee and your day!