Today’s post is not a recipe for a healthy treat, or crazy leg workout. Today’s post is deeper than that. As much as I love to dive into the details of training and eating, there is a foundation in all of us that needs to be strong in order to have true health. That foundation is our happiness. Often times when looking to achieve weight loss or physique changes we cling to cookie-cutter meal plans and rigid workout schedules. What we often don’t do is take time daily to check in on our relationships, those with family, friends, significant others etc. And those can have a tremendous impact on how we eat, exercise, and ultimately on our overall health and happiness.
Often times eating and exercise can serve as a distraction to escape the realities of day-to-day life. Some choose to cope emotionally with food by consuming too much or not enough. Others choose to do the same with exercise, either getting exercise in or not doing it at all. And although healthy eating and exercise are great tools for achieving physical wellbeing, if we neglect our inner self, our soul, we can become “sick” even if on the outside we look “well”. This neglect can take it’s toll on our relationships and eventually, we will find we are not truly happy. Rather, we are just going through the motions.
With that being said, I wanted to transition into some of the most valuable life lessons in the past two and a half years of my life. There have been ups and downs, but more importantly opportunities for growth, introspection, and learning. These points have everything to do with cultivating inner happiness and health. They serve as guiding principles for keeping relationships in a healthy place, which in turn can help keep your physical health in a healthy place. Maybe one, two, or all fifteen will resonate with you, but I hope in any case, they help you along your quest for health and happiness. And so, here they are:
15. Do not let anyone tell you your strength is your weakness (and believe them).
14. Listen to your family and friends, they have your best interest in mind.
13. Listen to your gut first, then your head, and then your heart.
12. We reflect our insecurities onto others. Keep theirs and your own in check.
11. Love is supportive; it is patient, understanding, and kind.
10. Actions DO speak louder than words. (Don't make excuses.)
9. Reach out and talk to others, chances are you are not alone, and someone has been in your shoes.
8. Be honest and genuine in everything you do.
7. Do not take the actions and words of others as a reflection of you.
6. Do not let anyone get in the way of pursuing your dreams.
5. Experience emotions but do not get consumed by them.
4. Look deeper into situations, ask questions, and get the answers.
3. Do NOT compromise yourself.
2. Find the silver lining, the lesson, in everything.
1. Always remember the point of life is to be happy.
In closing, tell the ones you love you love them, tell yourself you love yourself. Do things that bring you closer to happiness, and don’t be afraid of listening to your core!
Here’s to the happiest and healthiest lives we can achieve,